A little green jewel-like beetle, the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB), has arrived in Hopewell Valley and its effects will be devastating. EAB threatens the entire North American Fraxinus (Ash) genus. Ash trees are one of the primary native trees in Hopewell Valley and can be found on public property and in forests and yards though our area.
Hopewell Township is being proactive in the fight to protect our ash trees. (For more information, go to https://www.haveyoursayhopewelltwp.org/Emerald-Ash-Borer.) Due to the nature of the attack, it is very difficult to determine which trees have already succumbed. As a result, many ash trees, some infected and some yet to be infected, must be taken down to insure public safety.
To commemorate the virtual loss of this beautiful American tree, and in the spirit of the HV Arts Council’s ongoing upcycling theme – making art out of trash and typically discarded items – we will be kicking of a new initiative called Out of the Ashes. This initiative will include a diverse series of art programs, exhibits and community events to be held throughout 2018.
Throughout 2018 and 2019, we’ll be hosting lots of events with plenty of ways artists and art-lovers can participate:
- Ash Wood Saw Viewing – May 5
- Pennington Day Out of the Ashes Program Introduction -May 19
- Community Parades – Memorial Day & July 4
- “Slice of Nature” Family Craft Workshop Part of Hopewell Come Outside & Play! – June 9
- Crafts at Pennington Community Summer Concerts, Summer 2018
- Community BBQ – Cornhole Tournament and ‘Slice of Art’ Show & Sale, Sept 9
- Woodworker’s Ash Tree Show, February 2019
- Pennington Day 2019 – Ash Tree Theme and Sale of Leopold Benches, May 2019
- Public Display of 60+ Art Spires & Poles throughout Hopewell Valley, May-Oct 2019
- Auction of Ash Tree Art Work, November 2019
Call for Artists : “Slice of Art” Painted Wood Slices Open May 19, 2018 – Deadline Aug 15, 2018 • Ash Art Spires & Poles: Call for Designs – July 2018; Design Deadline – Oct 2018; Selection Nov 2018; Art Completion Deadline – April 2019.