Thank you for your interest in carving at the fifth annual Amazing Pumpkin Carve. The Hopewell Valley Arts Council is looking for imaginative and truly AMAZING pumpkins. We encourage you to think outside of the traditional pumpkin-carving box!
~ Important ~
a. Each carver will be provided with electricity! ONLY electric lighting will be permitted. This will ensure brighter lighting and eliminate the need for us to get into your pumpkin to access battery-operated lights. ALL ELECTRICAL LIGHTS & CORDS MUST BE OUTDOOR GRADE. See paragraph #5 for more details.
b. Only registered carvers, employees, volunteers, and VIP All-Access Pass Sponsors will be permitted onto the event grounds on carving day. To maintain safety and to prevent distractions on carving day, family and friends MUST wait to attend the Carve during
public viewing hours. (Fri 10/11 – Mon 10/14.)
c. Upon satisfactory completion of their pumpkin, Carvers will receive:
- $150 Honoraria, per Carver or Carving Team
- One additional complimentary general admission ticket
- Registered Carvers have free access to return to the Carve during public hours
- New: Carvers are encouraged to attend the “Watch the Carvers” Special Reception on Thursday, Oct 10 from 6-8pm, to interact with our sponsors & special ticket holders who will be the first to view the pumpkins and want to see how you do what you do. In addition to themselves, Carvers will receive one additional free ticket for the reception.
- Refreshments: Complementary bagels, chips, fruit and beverages will be available all day for the Carvers. It is a long day, so feel free to come and go to take a break to get lunch/dinner or feel free to pack your own.
Carver’s 2019 Timeline
|Activity||Date / Time|
|Carver receives confirmation via email||Wed, Sept 18, 2019|
|Carving Day||Thurs, Oct 10 from 10:00am to 8:00pm|
|Private pumpkin judging||Thurs, Oct 10 at 8:30pm|
|Posting of judging results||Fri, Oct 11|
It is important that you read the following rules and event details before registering so that you fully understand your commitment:
1. The Amazing Pumpkin Carve will be held “rain or shine”, unless the weather is unsafe. Weather- related closures will be made on a day-by-day basis and announced through the Hopewell Valley Arts Council website.
2. Carving will take place at Woolsey Park, 221 Washington-Crossing Pennington Road, Titusville, NJ on Thurs Oct 10 between the hours of 10:00am and 8:00pm. Carvers must check-in upon arrival to be directed to their pumpkin. Since you will be carving an AMAZING pumpkin, make sure you leave ample time to complete your design and be cleaned-up by 8:00pm. Later hours will enable you to see your pumpkin in the dark and tweak your carving as needed prior to judging.
3. An individual or team of up to three Carvers is permitted on-site to carve the pumpkin. Carvers between the ages of 12 and 18 MUST be on a team with a parent or guardian.
4. Once the Arts Council has selected the required number of carvers, additional carvers will be put on a waiting list. If a carver has not started their pumpkin by 5:00pm, the pumpkin will be forfeited and reassigned to a carver from the waiting list.
*5. IMPORTANT! Each carver will have access to an electrical plug with 100 watts of electricity near their assigned pumpkin. You are encouraged to think creatively about light and motion. Low volume sound is permitted as long as it does not interfere with the enjoyment of the other pumpkins around you. Consider using compact florescent or LED lights to maximize the wattage. Carvers must bring their own OUTDOOR GRADE lighting and extension cords. Battery operated lighting inside the pumpkin is NOT permitted. It is too difficult to gain access to the inside of the pumpkins to get to the lights to turn them on/off and change batteries. Due to possible moisture build-up as the pumpkins sit, OUTDOOR grade lighting is required to keep from tripping the circuits, which was a problem last year. **Please put your name on your lighting system so it can be returned to you at the close of the event. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!!
6. Only cordless power tools may be used. Plug-in power tools typically exceed 100 watts and will overwhelm our generator. Cordless power tools may be re-charged with the tent electrical set-up.
7. Pumpkin designs must be the original work of the carver or carving team and not infringe upon the copyright or any intellectual property rights of others. Websites like “Pinterest” may be used for inspiration, but specific designs may not be copied.
8. The use of stencils is permitted, but commercial pumpkin kits and pre-purchased pumpkin stencils are strongly discouraged.
9. Carvers must keep in mind that the audience will be broad-based and of all ages, so designs must be appropriate for public display. Designs that are religious, political or sexual in nature are not permitted. Corporate logos or advertisements, other than logos of the participating non-profit organizations, are not permitted. Carved pumpkins that do not conform to these guidelines will not bedisplayed. If you are uncertain about your design’s conformity, please contact us.
10. Each pumpkin will be pre-positioned on hay bales under 10 x 10 tents provided by the HV Arts Council for each carver. Pumpkins and hay bales may not be moved. But Pumpkins MAY be spun around or propped-up for enhanced viewing and ease of carving. Some bricks and rocks will be available to use as props. Carvers may also bring their own material for propping.
11. You may fill your 10 x 10 empty space in anyway you like, but keep in mind that the pumpkins cannot be moved from the hay bales. Nothing of any significant weight can be attached to the tent structure. Designs may extend below the top of the hay bales to the ground. Safety is of utmost importance. Please ensure that your pumpkin is constructed securely.
12. Completed pumpkin designs MAY be enhanced with man-made materials and components. In addition, natural material such as smaller pumpkins, gourds, corn stalks or sticks may also be incorporated into your design. Components other than the main pumpkin can be pre-carved or painted in advance.
13. The use of products/treatments to extend the life of your carved pumpkin is encouraged. (plantcaretoday.com/preserve-pumpkin)
14. Carvers may be asked to make minor repairs to their pumpkin if needed.
15. No vehicles are allowed in the Pumpkin Carve event courtyard. Please be prepared to transport all necessary tools from the parking area some other way. There will be one cart available, but you may need to wait while it is in use. We suggest you bring a wheelbarrow, wagon or some other non- mechanized form of transportation.
16. Bring chairs or blankets to sit on while carving. Bug spray is also recommended. Trash containers and buckets will be provided to facilitate cleanup. You are responsible for cleaning up your own area.
17. No pets or alcoholic beverages are permitted. Alcohol and carving do not mix well. ☺
18. Our visitors love to talk with the carvers. Feel free to hangout with your pumpkin during public viewing hours to answer questions and say ‘hello’ to your adoring fans.
19. Carvers give full permission for the Hopewell Valley Arts Council to use images of their pumpkins and day-of-event carving photos in promotional materials.
Thank you for bringing your creativity to the Amazing Pumpkin Carve! If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.