For Participants & ExhibitorsTHE JUNKYARD
The Hopewell Valley Arts Council seeks artists, artisans, and all creatives to rise to the challenge of our newest community event — The Junkyard – an upcycle art exhibition.
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE ENTER NEXT YEAR’S JUNKYARD!
The Junkyard will be open to the public from Friday, July 23 to Sunday, July 25 at Woolsey Park in Titusville, NJ (Hopewell Township) and will feature artwork created by Team Challenge participants and established professional and eco-artists who will create art, musical instruments, sculptures and more from mostly… junk, of course! Additional features include environment-related educational displays, and art created by children and teenagers, and for those in the market for a little something, there will be vendors selling artisan and environmentally-related items.
The exhibition grounds will be set-up in “ZONES”.
- Zone 1. Creative Team Challenge – teams/families compete to create imaginative upcycled artwork in specific categories assigned by the HV Arts Council.
- Zone 2. EcoArtist Gallery & Marketplace – artwork and sculpture by established creatives & eco-artists, most available for purchase.
- Zone 3. The Kids Gallery – artwork created by children & teenagers.
- Zone 4. Local Green Resources – informative and educational “green” displays by area environmental groups.
- Zone 5. Restoration Alley – a display of expertly restored antique vehicles.
Artwork by Ruthann Perry
Team Challenge participants who will compete against other teams to create four (4) imaginative upcycled items specified by the HV Arts Council;
Established artists to display artwork and sculpture made primarily from upcycled items; and
Youth artists to create three (3) upcycled items specified by the HV Arts Council.
TEAM CHALLENGES (Teams must complete all four to compete):
- Art for the Garden: Make a decorative item for the garden, such as a bird bath or a statue. The item must be made totally or primarily of upcycled materials. The item can also be an existing item embellished with upcycled materials.
- Mask-Up: Finally! Something other than a COVID mask! Make one (1) mask using a 2.5 gallon plastic water jug as the base. Masks may be culturally inspired, contemporary, or humorous in design – the sky’s the limit. 2.5 gallon plastic jugs with spigots are available for pick-up. Please contact Felicia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Transformer: Using a piece of unwanted furniture, repurpose it for a different use than it was originally intended. The new item can be for indoor or outdoor use. Furniture can be deconstructed and new materials added. Be sure to take a “BEFORE” photo of the item before starting your project to display with your finished item.
- Artist Choice: Make or artfully refinish an object of your choice in any size. The finished item can be a piece of art, furniture, something useful, or cleverly frivolous. Larger items may be displayed outside of your tent.